Congratulations! Now that you have enrolled in the final semester of your study, you need to apply for graduation.
Please keep in mind that graduation is NOT automatic. It is your responsibility to notify the Registrar’s Office of your intent to graduate. To be considered for graduation, you must submit an online Application for Graduation in your Student portal.
Early application is encouraged to allow time for a complete record check prior to the student's enrolling for the last semester.
Follow These Steps
- Log in to the student portal at https://portal.viu.edu/student.
- In the left menu under the Student Portal section click “Graduation Application Form.”
- You will be presented with a page containing information about submitting the graduation application. Please be sure to read all of the instructions carefully before clicking “Continue” to begin your application.
Please remember, in order to graduate from Virginia International University you must fulfill all program, academic, financial, and university requirements. All requirements will be verified by your school and the Registrar's Office. If you do not meet these requirements, you will not be awarded a degree. The university has a graduation appeals process to consider written appeals from students who do not meet all requirements.
In order to have your diploma/certificate issued, submit your completed graduation application by the following dates:
- Students who complete degree requirements by the end of the Fall Semester: October 1st
- Students who complete degree requirements by the end of the Spring Semester: February 10th
- Students who complete degree requirements by the end of the Summer Semester I: June 1st
- Students who complete degree requirements by the end of the Summer Semester II: August 1st
Degree RequirementsStudents should meet the following minimum requirements to be qualified for a degree:
|Graduate||Undergraduate||Graduate Level Certificate||Undergraduate Level Certificate|
|Minimum Passing Grade Per Course||C||D-||C||D-|
|Minimum Cumulative GPA||3.00||2.00||3.00||2.00|
|Total Credits required for graduation||36||120||18||24|
The fee for graduation is $150 for both graduate and undergraduate students.
Records are sealed at graduation. No changes may be made to the academic record (transcript) after the degree has been awarded. All obligations, whether academic or financial, must be cleared before your records will be released.
Cancellation of Graduation Application
Students who cancel their application or whose applications are cancelled by the Registrar’s Office must reapply for graduation in order to be considered for a subsequent semester.
The commencement ceremony information, which includes instructions for purchasing a cap and gown, will be emailed to applicants by the Student Affairs Office sometime in March. The commencement ceremony is held once a year, after the end of Spring semesters.
Read more about the commencement ceremony here.