CGPA Waiver Policy
Virginia International University (VIU) requires a minimum Cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale when applying for admission to graduate programs in order to ensure that students will have the ability to benefit from education in our institution. VIU also recognizes that a CGPA is not the sole indicator of a student’s ability to succeed, and other parameters, such as professional experience, may be an indication of the applicant’s ability to benefit.
What do I do if I have a low GPA?
Students with a GPA below 2.5 begin the admission process by uploading all necessary documents. After the admission office reviews these documents, they may request what is called a “CGPA Waiver Request” from the student. At this time additional sections will be added to the student’s application portal so that they can upload additional documents.
A CGPA waiver request packet includes the following items:
- A letter to the Dean of the program for which you are applying, stating that you request to be considered for admission with a CGPA that does not meet the minimum requirements.
- A 1-page essay outlining the reasons why the CGPA fell below the 2.5 threshold, as well as what sets them apart to be a good candidate for admission to VIU and the program.
- 2 letters of recommendation (professional and academic preferred).
The GPA Waiver Request Packet will be reviewed and a formal recommendation on approval of the waiver request will be made by our Academic Standards Committee, which include the following individuals:
- Director of Enrollment Management
- Dean from school applied
- Faculty from the school applied