Effective beginning Spring 2011 Semester:
Virginia International University offers a 30% tuition discount per semester for permanent residents of the Commonwealth of Virginia (VA), Maryland (MD) or District or Columbia (DC).
To be considered for the Residency Discount, the student must be enrolled in an academic or ESL program on a full-time or part-time basis and meet one of the following criteria:
- A US citizen or US permanent resident (green card holder) who has paid income taxes for the prior twelve (12) months in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Maryland and District of Columbia; or
- An H1-B or similar visa holder that has paid income taxes for the prior twelve (12) months in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Any holder of student visa and their dependents are not eligible for residency discount.
To be considered for the Residency Discount, a student must submit the following supporting documents:
- The most recently filed state tax return form.
- Driver's license or State ID.
- Proof of US permanent residence or citizenship.
- Proof of current visa holder status.
- Proof of relationship may be requested.
To be considered for the Residency Discount, the student must fill out an application for the Residency Discount. A new application and supporting documents have to be submitted each semester. The deadline to apply for this discount is designated each semester.
The deadlines for the 2012 - 2013 academic year are as follows:
- Fall 2012 Semester Due Date: Friday, August 10, 2012
- Spring 2013 Semester Due Date: Friday, December 14, 2012
- Summer I 2013 Semester Due Date: Friday, April 26, 2013
- Summer II 2013 Semester Due Date: Friday, June 21, 2013
Applications after these deadlines will only be considered for the next semester. The Residency Discount is subject to approval.
A parent, or legal Guardian, can apply on behalf of students under the age of 24. Spouses may also apply on behalf of their partner, provided the student in question is listed as a dependent on the state income tax filing for the most recent year.
The discount is applied to the student's tuition only. Any scholarships awarded will be deducted first. The discount will be applied to the remaining amount. If a student qualifies for more than one discount, only one will be applied. The discount applies only to on-ground students.