About Virginia International University
VIU is a non-profit university committed to setting a new standard in higher education. Through our student-centered approach, we strive to provide the most positive environment for learning available anywhere. Our programs are structured to allow students great flexibility in the design and direction of their own studies. At the same time, every student is assigned a personal mentor who acts as a guide in course selection and career orientation. VIU offers tuition scholarships to qualified students, because we believe that good education should be available to everyone, including those who do not have the necessary funds to pursue higher education.
To keep pace with the latest developments in technology and teaching, our curriculum and materials are regularly reviewed and revised, and our instructors receive further training, as necessary. As students near completion of their programs, VIU career counselors help place them in internships and other work-study positions with local companies and organizations.
Benchmarks in the History of VIU
Since its founding in 1998, Virginia International University has made significant progress in the complex process of establishing a new university. Below are some of the milestones of our institutional history:
- The concept for Virginia International University was developed by Dr. Isa Sarac, who after exploring several locations in the United States, established VIU in Fairfax, Virginia in August 1998.
- 1998: The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) authorized VIU to begin the Master of Business Administrations Program.
- 1999: SCHEV granted authority to offer a series of Diploma and Certificate programs.
- 2000: SCHEV granted permission to begin a baccalaureate program in Computer Science and Business Management.
- 2003: The Master of Science in Information Systems began.
- 2006: Virginia International University held its first commencement with 20 graduates in attendance at the Fairfax County Country Club.
- 2008: The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS), a national accrediting agency granted accreditation to Virginia International University.
- 2009: ACICS granted approval for VIU to begin offering courses in the online modality that comprise up to 50% of any of its degree programs. VIU launched new programs: Master of Arts in TESOL and Graduate Certificate in TESOL.
- 2010: VIU was approved to offer 100% of its Master of Business Administration, Master of Computer Science, Master of Information Systems, Bachelor of Business Administration, and Bachelor of Computer Science programs online. The School of Online Education was established.
- 2012: VIU was visited by ACICS and approved to offer all its programs online.
- 2013: VIU opened its School of Public & International Affairs with a Master of Science in International Relations and a Master of Public Administration. VIU opened the School of Education with a Master of Education. The Center for Democracy & International Affairs was launched under the SPIA.
- 2014: VIU administrative offices moved to a new location at 4401 Village Drive, Fairfax, VA.
- 2015: VIU received approval to participate in Federal Student Aid by the US Department of Education; VIU is approved by the Project Management Institute as a PMI® Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.)
- 2015: VIU launched the School of Test Preparation by offering preparation courses for those who wish to take standardized English exams (TOEFL, IELTS), or SAT, among other tests.