Faculty Employment Opportunities
Full-Time Professor - School of Computer Information Systems
Virginia International University is seeking an experienced Full-Time Professor to teach on ground and possibly online courses, develop and design online courses and support our School of Computer Information Systems at our Fairfax, VA campus.
The Full-Time Professor will be responsible for teaching 8 - 10 courses each academic year, developing and designing online courses, supporting the School of Computer Information Systems in advising students, academic and program development, and participating in instructional effectiveness processes.
- Teaching 8-10 courses over 4 academic semesters
- Student advising
- Teaching and/or coordinating seminars and orientations
- Overseeing student internships and fellowships
- Supporting the Dean in resolving faculty/student matters
- Providing assistance to students facing academic obstacles
- Coordinating and/or supporting student clubs, events, and off-campus activities
- Implementing new concentrations and majors
- Researching and selecting textbooks for classes
- Organizing materials and records for accreditation
- Determining student placement and exit activities
- Develop and follow through on academic IEP
- Promote the School through membership and participation in professional and academic organizations
- Represent the School to internal and external academic communities, alumni, business and industry, government, foundations, and the general community
- Work collaboratively with the School of Online Education to develop online courses that are effective and up to date with the current online education standards
- Make courses user friendly and well designed to have better learning outcomes
- Design online modules incorporating a variety of web-design and instructional tools, including HTML pages, graphics, streaming video and audio, and flash
- Terminal Degree in a computing discipline
- Minimum of four years of experience teaching as a Professor in a graduate computer science program
- Five or more years of experience with Moodle or a similar LMS
- Experience with designing and building online academic courses
- Understanding of the mechanics of online learning and effective teaching styles
- Ability to teach courses in at least three of the following areas at the master's level: Algorithms, Networking, Animation and Gaming, Machine Learning, and Applications Development
- At least four years of experience in an academic administrator role
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to work with a highly diverse staff, faculty, and student body; ability to excel in a demanding, outcome oriented and dynamic work environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to carry out projects through to completion with minimal supervision
Only applicants submitting all required documentation below will be considered. Hard copies and faxes will not be accepted. Relocation expenses are not covered by the University.
1. Cover Letter detailing teaching and administrative qualifications and abilities
3. Teaching Statement/Philosophy including areas of expertise
4. A listing of all undergraduate and/or graduate level teaching history (specify online or on ground)
5. Teaching Portfolio (sample lesson plans, videos of lectures, other supportive teaching documents)
6. Copies of unofficial higher education transcripts
7. VIU Employment Application
In addition to our interview process, selected candidates will be expected to present a teaching demonstration
Virginia International University, located in Fairfax, VA, is seeking experienced, riveting and captivating Adjunct Faculty to teach in our:
- School of Business
- School of Computer Information Systems
- School of Public and International Affairs
- School of English Language Studies
- School of Education
- TESOL Program
- School of Online Education
These part-time, adjunct faculty positions will teach our online and/or on-ground courses for our undergraduate and graduate level courses. The teaching faculty we seek will provide quality education and service to our diverse student body to meet the objectives of our programs and prepare our students to effectively participate in the global community and the global workforce. Our adjunct faculty team supports relevant University initiatives and is provided with a variety of opportunities for professional development.
On-ground duties include, but are not limited to planning, developing and delivering lesson plans, managing classroom activities, providing students with guidance to accessing resources supporting the course objectives, grading assignments and providing timely feedback to the students.
Online duties relate to the construction and delivery of online courseware. This includes, but is not limited to structuring the online classroom, organizing the contents and supporting resources in the learning management system, managing the classroom activities, grading assignments and providing appropriate feedback to student inquiries.
Requirements and Qualifications:
School of Business -
PhD in a relevant industry. Successful candidates will have extensive industry or teaching experience, excellent organizational and communication skills, the ability to utilize a variety of teaching styles, as well as, to deliver instruction to students with diverse learning styles.
School of Computer Information Systems -
PhD in Computer Science or related discipline required. Successful candidates will have extensive industry and/or teaching experience, excellent organizational and communication skills, the ability to utilize a variety of teaching styles, as well as, to deliver instruction to students with diverse learning styles.
School of Public and International Affairs -
The School of Public and International Affairs at Virginia International University in Fairfax, VA is currently seeking two adjunct faculty to teach in the Spring 2014.
- Adjunct professor to teach an on ground course on National Security. We welcome candidates whose research and teaching interests focus on areas such as conflict and dispute resolution, human security, international environmental politics, international ethics, peace studies, and transnational activism and advocacy. Candidates of all theoretical and methodological approaches in the IR subfield will be considered. Applicants are expected to have a Ph.D. in a relevant field. Candidates with past diplomatic, public or foreign policy and governmental experience are highly encouraged to apply.
- Adjunct professor to teach an online course on Comparative Politics. Students in the program have already taken an introductory comparative government class, so this seminar should have a more theoretical orientation and focus in depth on issues such as regime change, institutional politics, ethnic politics and social movements. Applicants are expected to have a Ph.D. in a relevant field.
- Minimum of four years of higher education teaching experience.
- Experience teaching online and developing courses (Moodle experience preferred).
- Area specialization open, but Asia, Middle East or Latin America specialists preferred.
School of English Language Studies -
- BA + TESOL certificate (ESL classroom teaching experience preferred)
- MA in TESOL or closely related field preferred (ESL classroom teaching experience preferred)
School of Education -
PhD in Education and minimum of one year experience teaching Education at the graduate level.
TESOL Program –
PhD in Linguistics or a related field strongly preferred. A minimum of one year experience teaching TESOL at the graduate level required.
School of Online Education -
Master's or PhD in disciplines related to the subject area. Extensive industry or teaching experience, together with excellent organizational and communication skills, ability to utilize a variety of teaching styles, working knowledge of common software productivity tools, and interest in, and commitment to teaching in the online environment. Prior teaching experience online is strongly preferred.
VIU is expanding our team to meet the needs of our growing offering of online courses and programs. We are currently accepting applications for multiple online adjunct teaching faculty positions for our School of Business, School of Computer Information Systems and TESOL Program. These faculty members will facilitate the delivery of our online courses and online programs.
We are also accepting applications for online faculty positions in our General Education courses. The current repertoire of general education courses consists of: English Composition, Oral Communication Skills, Business English, Introduction to Humanities, Academic Writing, Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, World History, World Geography, Comparative Government, General Chemistry, College Physics, General Biology and Introduction to Geology.
HOW TO APPLY:
Only applicants submitting all 5 required pieces will be considered. Hard copies and faxes will not be accepted. Relocation expenses are not covered by the University.
- Cover Letter detailing teaching and administrative qualifications and abilities AND School for which you are applying
- Copies of unofficial transcripts
- Teaching Portfolio (sample lesson plans, videos of lectures, other supportive teaching documents)
- VIU Employment Application (must be completed on a PC and not on a MAC)
Final applicants should be prepared to make a teaching presentation.
Virginia International University (VIU) was established in 1998 with the goal of providing affordable, quality higher education for students preparing to meet the ever-evolving needs and opportunities of the 21st century workforce. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, just minutes from Washington, DC, VIU is an independent academic establishment combining a liberal arts tradition with emphasis on career orientation.
We are currently offering graduate and undergraduate level programs in computer science, business, and management, as well as full and part-time certificates in a variety of professional and technical fields, including English as a Second Language (ESL). Our student body comes from over 50 different countries.
It is the policy of VIU to provide equal employment and educational opportunities for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, source of income, place of residence or business, and veteran status. An integral part of this policy is to administer recruiting , hiring, working conditions, benefits and privileges of employment, compensation, training, opportunity for advancement including upgrades and promotion, transfer, and termination of employment including layoff and recall for all employees in accordance with this policy.