Rights & Responsibilities
VIU EMPLOYEES & APPLICANTS
Virginia International University employees and applicants of positions have certain protections under Federal and State law as well as University policy. The information on this page is a useful guide for understanding your rights and responsibilities as they relate to employment laws, regulations, and requirements.
- American Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Clery Act
- Conflicts of Interest
- Conflicts of Commitment
- Earned Income Tax Credit (ETIC)
- Employee Polygraph Protections Act
- Employment of Teenagers
- Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
- Job Safety & Health Protection
- Military Leaves for Employees and Family Members (USERRA)
- Sexual Misconduct
- Substance-free Workplace
- Unemployment Notice to Workers
- Virginia Income Tax Credit
- Workers’ Compensation
AMERICAN DISABILITIES ACT (ADA)
Summary: In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, an individual can request an accommodation to participate in an employment-related activity.
- Forms: Reasonable Accommodation Request and Documentation Form
- Poster: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law”
CLERY DISCLOSURE OF CAMPUS SECURITY POLICY AND CAMPUS CRIME STATISTICS ACT
Summary: This law requires colleges and universities across the U.S. to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. Annual reports are available online by campus as listed on the web page below.
- Web: Annual Clery security reports
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA)
Summary: The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is an employee protection act that establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, equal pay, and recordkeeping laws.
- Poster: “Minimum Wage”