Since Fall of 2014, SPIA has participated in a Public Policy Internship Program with Fairfax County Government. The program places MPA and MIR students in internship positions, within a number of different departments, including the Office of Public Private Partnerships, the Health Department, and the Office of Human Rights and Equity Programs. Students are also placed with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, and other policy and business non-profits in the region.
The public policy internships are 15 weeks long and are structured as a mandatory course (GOVT 665 or PUAD 665), allowing students to acquire three (3) graduate credits upon completion of the internship. Most internships are unpaid.
Check out these internships!
MS in International Relations in Business (MIR) Student, Oksana Zolotova with Administrative, Policy, and Strategic Initiatives Coordinator, Jessica Werder.
Oksana had an internship in the Office of the County Executive where she conducted research on program evaluations, grant opportunities, and board items for county employees under the supervision of Fairfax County executives.
MIR student Canan Aydin, interned at the Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) and helped to organize the Northern Virginia blanket drive for Syrian and Iraqi refugees in Turkey.
Davaadulam (Edma) Khishigdelger with her coworkers at the Office of Human Rights and Equity Programs.
InKiran Mai and her two supervisors at the Fairfax County Health Department.
Student Paulette Zegarra interned at the Office of Public Private Partnerships.
Explore the sites below for possible internships, fellowships, and scholarships.
3.) Research Lab in International Relations Politics
- Research associates of the Research Lab in International Relations and Politics have compiled an extensive list of policy-related internships.
4.) Think Tanks
- University of California, Riverside has compiled a good list of internships offered by some of the biggest think tanks in DC. Find it here.
- American Enterprise Institute (AEI) for Public Policy Research
- Arms Control Association
- Business-Industry Political Action Committee (BIPAC)
- The Brookings Institution
6.) Congressional Internships, Public Policy Fellowships, Scholarships
- US House of Representatives
- Earth Justice Policy & Legislation
- Woodrow Wilson International Center
- National Endowment for Democracy
- The Heritage Foundation
- Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- Embassy & Diplomatic Scholars
- Institute for Women’s Policy Research
- International Economic Development Council
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- National Council for Science & the Environment
- National Partnership for Women & Families
- Smithsonian Opportunities for Research & Study
- The Washington Center for Internships & Academic Seminars
- The National Democratic Institute
- The Republican International Institute
7.) Organizations in Development
- Amnesty International
- Atlantic Council of the United States
- Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs
- East-West Center
- Ford Foundation
- Human Rights Watch
- International Rescue Committee
- Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainability
- Population Council
- Rainforest Alliance
- United Nations Association of the USA
- World Environment Center