Safe and Drug free School PolicyIn compliance with the US Department of Education and the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989, PL 101-226 20 USC’s 1145g, Higher Education Act of 1965, Section 1213, VIU has adopted the following safe and drug-free school policy for the protection and welfare of all students and staff:
- VIU will not tolerate the unlawful possession and use of alcohol or controlled substances (drugs) on its premises.
- The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of alcohol and controlled substances is prohibited in and on property owned by or under the control of VIU.
- Students and employees who violate this policy may be subject to arrest and prosecution and will be subject to the disciplinary procedures provided by the various negotiated agreements or such other corrective action as the President or the President’s designee may deem appropriate. Other corrective action may include satisfactory participation in an approved alcohol or drug rehabilitation program.
- Students and employees should be aware that the legal sanctions that may be imposed under current laws regarding the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, use, or sale of alcohol or controlled substances include fines and prison terms ranging from one year to life in prison upon conviction.
- Students and employees should also be aware that the health risks associated with the abuse of alcohol and the unlawful use of controlled substances include, but are not limited to, memory loss, depression, seizures, falls, accidents, heart and lung diseases, frequent infection, and sudden death.
- VIU will make a good-faith effort to maintain an alcohol-free and drug-free workplace.
Smoking is not permitted within facilities owned or leased by the University nor in university-owned vehicles. Smoking is not permitted within 50 feet of any university facility.