joomla templates

Traveling Outside of the US

If you are an F-1 student intending to travel outside of the United States, please review the information below carefully. F-2 dependents also require valid travel authorization signatures for re-entry to the United States.


In order to successfully receive authorization to travel outside of the United States, students must submit the following items to the ISS Office:

  1. Travel Authorization Form (ISS1-1F)
  2. Travel itinerary and flight ticket information (NOTE: Submission of an itemized travel itinerary is highly encouraged by the ISS Office. Students with no return date on their itinerary will have this information recorded directly on their I-20 when it is issued.)
  3. Your most recent I-20

Please be advised that the ISS Office reserves the right not to authorize travel if the reason for travel is not deemed plausible. The ISS Office will review each individual student's documents on a case-by-case basis.

Please contact the ISS Office at (703) 591-7042 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you require additional information.

Policy: Travel Authorization (For Travel Outside of the United States)

It is the policy of Virginia International University's International Student Services (ISS) Office that all F-1 students wishing to travel outside of the United States at any time during their program of study request permission to do so in advance of their travel. All F-1 students must be aware of the university's travel policy and adhere to it accordingly.

It is the requirement of the ISS Office that applications for travel must be submitted to the ISS Office no sooner than 1-4 weeks before the departure date listed on the travel authorization form and no later than 7 calendar days before departing the United States.

PLEASE NOTE: If a student submits documents for travel after the time frame listed above, it may result in a processing delay and the student would be responsible for changing his or her travel plans.

To ensure that they are in good financial standing with the university, students are required to obtain signatures on their travel authorization forms from the Accounting Office. 

Traveling outside of the US during the semester may be reviewed and approved by the ISS Office on a case-by-case basis. For certain non-emergency reasons, students may be allowed up to 7 calendar days of travel. For emergency-related or unforeseen personal reasons, students may be allowed up to 14 calendar days of travel. Marriage reasons of any kind are not considered to be valid excuses for students to miss class (e.g., personal marriage, family member's marriage, etc.).

PLEASE NOTE: If you have left the US without obtaining permission and a signature from an international student advisor, you must contact the ISS Office immediately at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Without this travel signature, the port of entry may not readmit you back into the United States.