Immigration FAQ

Q: What are the basics of the Executive Order?

A: The Executive Order was signed on January 27, 2017 and addresses immigrant, non-immigrant, and refugee entry into the United States of America.  The order places a 90-day ban on the entry of individuals from a set of countries, as well as a 120-day ban on refugee entry, and an indefinite ban on Syrian refugee entry. Seven countries are named in the Executive Order.  The full text of the Executive Order can be read on the White House website at the following link:

Q: Who is impacted by the Executive Order?

A: Citizens from the following seven countries are most immediately impacted by the Executive Order: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.  These individuals will not be permitted to enter or re-enter the United States for the next 90 days, with only limited exceptions.  The ban currently includes US Permanent Residents, or “green card holders,” but clarification has not been given on those holding dual citizenship with another non-US country. The order did not prohibit individuals with dual citizenship with the United States from entering with their US Passport.
It is our understanding that individuals from the seven countries listed who are currently in the United States legally should not be impacted by the Executive Order unless trying to return to the country from abroad.

Q: Can I travel during the next few months?

A: VIU is recommending that students from impacted countries do not travel outside of the United States for the foreseeable future.  If travel outside of the United States cannot be avoided, VIU highly encourages you to speak with an immigration attorney prior to leaving the country. Be advised that if you leave the country during the time that this order is in effect, you may not be permitted to re-enter, despite holding valid visas or residency paperwork, such as a green card.

Q: Who can I talk to about my immigration status?

A: The International Student Service Office at VIU is available to meet with any student privately to discuss the Executive Order and provide guidance to students.  If you would like to meet with an International Student Advisor, please call (703) 591 – 7042 to make an appointment.

Q: How can I obtain legal counsel?

A: If you need to consult with an immigration attorney, there are a few resources on the internet that can assist you in locating a lawyer who meets your needs.  A few are listed below:
Immigration Advocates Network:
AILA Lawyer Search: