VIU Leadership & Mentorship Program
- To get students engaged in more activities offered by VIU
- To have students obtain Gold, Silver or Bronze status
Length of Program
- August 29, 2016 to December 18, 2016
Students have the opportunity to gain points through a variety of activities. Please see below.
- Volunteering: For each hour or fraction thereof a student volunteers, he/she gets 50 points. Student Affairs has set up at least one volunteer opportunity a month. The volunteer opportunities can be between 3.5 and 5 hours long. You can also participate in other volunteer activities around campus.
- Exploration/Expedition: For each hour a student attends an exploration/expedition, he/she gets 5 points. Student Affairs has set up at least two field trips a month. These trips generally last about 5 hours.
- Participating in VIU Event: Student who participates in a VIU campus event (VIU Idol, Diversity luncheon, exercise leader, Mr. and Miss VIU) lasting at least one hour will get 35 points.
- Performing in VIU Event: Student who performs in a VIU campus event (Singing, Dancing, Playing Music, Talent Show) will get 35 points
- Initiating a New Club: Students who take the initiative to develop and carry out a new club will get 200 points for leading the club, 10 points for each new student orientation they attend and 10 points for each monthly meeting club they attend. The President of the club MUST have monthly meetings, at least one activity per semester (tournaments, games, etc.) and meet with the Student Affairs Manger once a month for the clubs’ meetings. Student Affairs will assist you in starting this club and assisting with the resources you need.
- Leading an Existing Club: Students who take on the commitment to be a Club Leader and fulfills the following: leading a club meeting at least once a month, attending monthly meetings with Student Affairs Manager, and has at least one activity (tournaments, games, etc.) a month will get the designated 100 points for leading the club, 10 points for each new student orientation they attend and 10 points for each monthly club meeting the attend.
- Participating in Clubs: For each hour a student attends a club activity, he/she gets 10 points. Student Affairs has a variety of clubs; students are able to join.
- Initiating an Event/Activity on Campus: Students who take initiative and develop and carry out an event/activity lasting at least an hour and a half on campus will get 250 points.
- Implementation of New Idea: Student who develops and/or designs new protocols, and procedures to enhance student affairs, for every hour that is spent designing, creating and/or implanting new policy or procedure will get 12 points.
- Sport Coach/Leader: The student who will coach/lead the VIU sport team will get 110 points for the full season + the participation points
- Sport Participation: Students who participate in VIU sport team will get 35 points for each game they play and 10 points for each practice they attend.
- Coffee and Tea Discussions: For each Coffee and Tea Discussion the student attends, he/she will get 10 points. Student Affairs has set up one of these discussions each month. Generally, they last an hour.
- Social Media: Students who participate in Student Affairs videos or give us a testimonial will get 10 points. Students who share or like our videos will get 5 points.
- Seminars, Workshops, and other Campus Events: For each seminar, workshop or event student attends, he/she will get 20 points. Student Affairs has set up at least one seminar, workshop or event each week. Generally, they last 1.5 hours. You can also attend Career Service Seminars and events. To get full points person must attend the whole event.
- Yearbook Committee: Having a book of memories from your time here at VIU is important that is why we need a yearbook committee. These individuals will attend a variety of activities, take pictures and get quotes from the students. Being able to take picture and design the yearbook is a challenging but fun task. The Leader of the Yearbook Committee will get 50 points + participation points. Students who participate in the Yearbook Committee for each hour the thy will get 10 points.
- Refer a Friend to VIU (only for Student Staff): Student Staff who refers a friend to study at VIU and the friend studies for one full semester will get 100 points for each student he/she refers.
- Being a Translator: Students who participate during check-in and/or orientation as a translator for the new students who speak the same language will get 75 points for each hour.
- Faculty and Staff Gift: Each faculty and staff member collects 150 points can gift the 150 points to one student or dived the points between different students. The gift cannot exceed the 150 points. Each faculty and staff person is responsible to inform the Student Affairs office two weeks before the end of the semester who they want to gift the points to.
- Faculty and Staff Recommendation: Each student can have recommendation letters from faculty or staff which includes their volunteering efforts both on and off campus. Students can get up to 50 points for each recommendation letter with a maximum of 3 letters. Each student cannot exceed 150 points.
- Being a Mentor: Mentors help new students adapt to a new culture and experience while also building student leadership and initiative skills. Mentors receive 100-200 points, depending upon several criteria. Read more about being a mentor here.
|Activity||Minimum Points||Maximum Points|
|Participating in VIU Event||35||N/A|
|Performing in VIU Event||35||N/A|
|Initiating a New Club||N/A
10 Monthly Meeting
|Leading an Existing Club||N/A
10 Monthly Meeting
|Participating in Clubs||10||N/A|
|Initiating an Event/Activity on Campus||NA||250|
|Implanting a New Idea||12||N/A|
|Sport Coach/Leader||N/A||110 + Participation Points|
|Sport Participation||35 each Game
35 each Practice
|Attending Coffee and Tea Discussions||10||N/A|
|Attending Seminars, Workshops, and other Campus Events||20||N/A|
|Social Media||10 Video or Testimonial
5 Shares or Likes
|Yearbook Committee Leader||N/A||50 + Participation Points|
|Refer a Friend to VIU (Student Staff Only)||100||N/A|
|Being a Translator||75||N/A|
|Faculty and Staff Gift||N/A||150|
|Being a Mentor||N/A
20 On-campus activity
20 Off-campus activity
- Being involved in these activities is a great way to add to your Resume! The skills you develop while engaging in these activities continue to build your Soft Skills – personal accountability, collaboration, interpersonal skills, adaptability, flexibility, clarity of communication, creative thinking, time management, motivation, teamwork, and mentoring/coaching.
- By being involved in these activities, it also makes it easier to request Recommendation Letters and/or Professional References from the staff. The more you engage with the staff, the better they get to know you and can speak highly of you when you need a professional reference!
- By being involved in the community and a variety of activities, students are able to make connections and network.
- Fun rewards
Minimum 3,500 points
- Receive an Award and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website.
- Student who obtain minimum 3,500 points or more are eligible to apply for the Student Activities Scholarship. The scholarship will be up to $1,000 dollars.
- Student luncheon with President, Dr. Sarac and the Executive Vice President of University of Affairs, Dr. Suleyman Bahceci.
- Recognition at graduation
- Pizza and wings party for student’s organization
- Receive VIU Merchandise
2,500 – 3,499 points
- Student who obtain between 2,500 and 3,499 points or more are eligible to apply for the Student Activities Scholarship. The scholarship will be up to $5,000 dollars.
- Receive a Certificate and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website.
- Pizza party for student (limit to five pizza’s)
- Student will receive a 25-dollar gift card
- Receive VIU Merchandise
1,400 – 2,499 points
- Receive a Certificate and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website
- Student will receive 10 dollars’ gift card
- Receive VIU Merchandise