Virginia International University (VIU) offers a unique opportunity to acquire an excellent, multi-disciplinary education at an affordable cost by offering students access to scholarships. VIU has been attracting individuals who take their VIU experiences into their own cultures, share their knowledge with future generations, and launch successful careers. Thus, there are several different types of scholarships available based on exemplary personal skills, academic achievement, extracurricular participation, on-campus work, and residency.
All applications and supporting documentation must be received by the deadline. Incomplete and late submissions will not be considered.
|Spring I/ Summer I/ Fall I||Summer II|
|Types of Scholarship available||All types of scholarships||Transfer-In/Academic Pursuit|
|Who can apply?||Local & International students/applicants||Local & International students/applicants|
|Term||Application Period||Announcement Date||Class Start Date|
|Fall 2019||No application needed||Upon acceptance at VIU||Aug 26, 2019|
There are some additional important dates and deadlines that you should be aware. Click Academic Calendar to learn more.
Students must apply for admission to Virginia International University, or be currently enrolled, before they can be eligible to apply for any scholarship.
To apply for a scholarship, students must follow these steps:
- New students: Apply for admissions at VIU
- Browse the scholarship opportunities
- Choose up to two types of scholarship
- Review the requirements for the scholarship application
- Apply online (applicant portal or student portal)
- Upload your documents via applicant portal or student portal.
Once the application form and all the supporting documents are received, students will receive a confirmation email.
- All submissions must be scanned, color copies of the original document. Samples of these documents may include transcripts, diplomas, certificates, and test scores. Photocopies are NOT considered acceptable documentation.
- If any document is issued in the applicants’ native language, they must provide both the original document and a translation of the document in English. Translated documents must be notarized.
VIU has the right to request original documentation. Submission of fabricated or false documents will result in disqualification from future scholarship application.
Scholarship Rules and Regulations
- Students who are awarded scholarships must reapply each year if they want to be considered for the scholarship for the next academic year. There is no guarantee that the scholarship will be awarded for the following year.
- Students are eligible to apply for up to two scholarship types, but they will be eligible to receive only one scholarship per academic year.
- All documents must be received by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will be denied automatically.
- Academic merit holds the highest weight in the review of most scholarship applications. In the case of a tie, the committee will rely on this hierarchy to make their award decision.
- New students must submit their transcripts to admissions before applying for the scholarship program.
- Cumulative GPA can be rounded one decimal place for eligibility requirements.
- VIU has the right to request original documentation. Submission of fabricated or false documents will result in immediate dismissal of the application and will disqualify the individual from applying to the scholarship program in the future.
- Documents submitted for application purposes will not be returned to the applicant.
- Applicants should submit scanned copies of originals.
- Applicants who have not been accepted to the university yet may also apply to the scholarship program. However, scholarship award will be applied upon enrolment.
- In case a student who was awarded a scholarship does not enroll in any course for one of the semesters which the scholarship could be applied, he/she will not receive the tuition credit for that term, or apply the credit to another term. However, the scholarship will still be valid for until its expiration.
- Scholarships are awarded as credit towards tuition only. The award amount will be divided into installments; the credit will be deducted from the total tuition charged for each semester.
- Students who are awarded scholarships during their last semester cannot apply the full awarded amount to one semester; only half of the scholarship amount will be applied to their last semester of studies.
- Students who were awarded the Leadership and Mentorship Scholarship during their last semester of study will be able to apply their scholarship award to any undergraduate or graduate program if they decide to return to VIU within 12 months.
- Scholarships can be awarded to applicants who receive other types of scholarship funding from academic collaborations, institutions, or government.
- Students receiving Financial Aid are still eligible to apply for scholarships.
- There is no guarantee that a scholarship will be awarded solely because the applicant meets the requirements, eligibility, and/or fulfilment of the scholarship criteria. All applicants should submit their application and follow proper procedures.
- Type of attendance and eligibility:
- On-campus graduate students must be enrolled in at least 2 academic classes for each semester.
- On-campus undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 3 academic classes for each semester.
- Fully Online students must be enrolled in at least one online graduate level class for each semester.
- After being awarded a scholarship, students will be invited to participate in marketing campaigns for the Scholarship Program. Students will be asked to authorize the use of their pictures, videos, and testimonials about the scholarship award and their experience at VIU.
- Student must keep the requirements for the scholarship which they applied for in order to receive the following scholarship installment for the subsequent semester.
- Students must be in good standing with accounting office in order to receive any scholarship award.
- Students who apply for Campus Employment scholarship will be automatically granted the award if eligibility requirements are met.
- VIU has the right to retrieve the amount awarded for the Campus Employment scholarship within 30 consecutive days if a student resigns or is let go from the position.
- Scholarship awards are non-transferrable.
The scholarship selection process begins immediately after the application period ends. All applications are initially screened for completion and criteria assessment. Once the application is deemed complete, the application will be available for the Scholarship Committee’s review. Each application is reviewed and assessed on an individual basis.
Selected applicants will be invited for an interview with the members of the Scholarship Committee as part of the selection process. The interview will be held at VIU campus or via Skype. Applicants may bring additional supporting materials to the interview if they wish.
Scholarship awards will be determined by the Scholarship Committee prior to the first day of classes for the semester to which the student applied. Awardees will be notified by email.
Below are some of the questions we receive most frequently regarding scholarships. If your question is not answered below, please feel free to email your specific question to email@example.com.
1. Who can apply for a scholarship?
To apply for a scholarship, applicants must be enrolled in any undergraduate or graduate at VIU. Applicants must also meet all required criteria for the specific scholarship that they are applying. As long as an applicant meets these qualifications, they are welcome to apply for the scholarship.
2. How can I obtain a scholarship application form?
3. Do I have to be enrolled at VIU to apply for a scholarship?
No. Applicants who have not been accepted to the university yet may also apply to the scholarship program. However, scholarship award will be applied upon enrolment.
4. What is the application deadline to apply for a scholarship?
The scholarship application deadlines are posted on the scholarship website. Applicants are urged to check this page for the specific deadlines in the semester they plan to apply.
5. Can I apply for more than one scholarship at a time?
Yes. Students are welcome to apply for up to two scholarships per semester although students are only eligible to receive one scholarship per semester.
6. If I meet the minimum criteria for a scholarship, am I guaranteed a scholarship?
No. Scholarship selection is made based on a variety of factors. An objective analysis of all aspects of the application will be made when making award decisions. Just because an applicant is qualified for the scholarship to which they applied, there is no guarantee that they will be awarded the scholarship.
7. How do I send my supporting documents?
All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded to the applicant or student portal.
8. I received a scholarship last academic year. Do I have to reapply to be considered for the next year?
Yes. The VIU Scholarship Program is an annual tuition scholarship, and the award will expire on its anniversary. Students must reapply for the scholarship if they wish to be considered to receive the scholarship again.
9. How do I reapply for a scholarship I was previously awarded?
The application process to reapply for a scholarship is exactly the same as the process you completed the first time you applied. Submit a completed application form along with the supporting documentation prior to the application deadline.
10. What is the minimum cumulative GPA must I have to be considered for a scholarship?
The minimum cumulative GPA to be considered for a scholarship at VIU is 2.75 on a 4.0 scale. Please note that each scholarship has its own specific required GPA requirement so applicants are encouraged to verify the requirement prior to applying.
11. My test scores are expired. Can I still submit the expired scores with my application?
TOEFL and IELTS scores expire 2 years after the test date. However, we are able to consider the test scores for a period of two years after their expiration date.
12. Can I use my scholarship award money towards my living expenses?
No. Scholarship awards are applied as a credit towards your tuition.