Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for VA Education benefits?

Only the Department of Veterans Administration can answer this question. We recommend that you contact the VA Education Center at 1-888-442-4551 for assistance with determining if you qualify for these benefits. They will be best able to explain what benefits you are entitled to.

I want to take classes at VIU. What do I have to do to enroll?

The first thing you should do is apply online. Once you have applied online, you will need to submit the required admission documents and fees associated with the program in which you plan to enroll in. For information on application requirements, we suggest that you visit the Admission section of the website. If you need assistance throughout the admission process, please feel free to contact an Admission Officer. Once you have completed the admission process, and been accepted into the university, you will be registered for classes!

I have already been accepted by VIU. What do I do now?

Congratulations on your acceptance! Now that you have your acceptance letter, you are ready to register for your classes. You should contact the Dean of the school of the program where you are accepted. They can assist you with picking the appropriate courses for your degree program. Once you have registered for your courses, you will need to meet with the VIU Certifying Official to discuss your educational benefits. They will explain to you the process of certifying your enrollment and ensure that your benefits are paid for the classes in which you have registered.

I have not yet received my Certificate of Eligibility. Is this okay?

Yes. You are encouraged to apply to VIU as early as possible, even if you have not received your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. You can apply, be accepted, and register for classes without having this form in hand. This form is required for VIU to certify your enrollment with the VA, and to ensure that you receive the benefits in which you are entitled. This form must be received by the first day of classes.

How do I change my mailing address?

Changing your address is very simple. An address change form needs to be submitted to the University Registrar in the 4401 Village Drive Fairfax, VA 22030. This can also be emailed to the Registrar’s Office as well. This form must be submitted within 30 days of the change in address.

What should I do if I need to make an adjustment to my enrollment at VIU?

All students receiving educational benefits from the VA are required to meet with the Certifying Official at VIU immediately if there is a change in their enrollment. Both VIU and the student are required to contact the VA with these changes within 30 days of the enrollment change. Any change to enrollment many affect the benefits being provided to the student.