Local University Honors “Blanket Drive for Syrian Refugees” as Most Inspiring Local Initiative
Fairfax, VA – Feb. 18, 2014
Next week, Virginia International University (VIU)’s Center for Democracy & International Affairs (CDIA) will honor the recipient of the 2013 Most Inspiring Local Initiative Award at a presentation and award ceremony.
- DATE: Tuesday, February 25, 2014
- TIME: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- LOCATION: Waples Mill Conference Room, 11200 Waples Mill Road, #360, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Free and open to the public! Refreshments will be provided.
The event is free and open to the public and will recognize “Blanket Drive for Syrian Refugees,” a local campaign which gathered over 18,000 blankets and $10,000 to help in the relief efforts for Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Honorees of the event include:
- Bob Lazaro, Mayor of Purcellville, VA
- Mustafa Akpinar, Principal of Pinnacle Academy
- Scott York, Chairman of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
- Sharon Bulova, Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors
- Mark Gibb, Executive Director of the Northern Virginia Regional Commission
- American Turkish Friendship Association
- Mid Atlantic Federation of Turkic American Associations
- Hizmet Relief
The Most Inspiring Local Initiative Award is voted on every year by the students and faculty of the School of Public & International Affairs. The honorees are presented with awards by the Center for Democracy and International Affairs (CDIA).
The mission of the CDIA is to promote global understanding of democratic governance as well as to establish an international dialogue for cultural, political, and economic exchange to aid in resolution of current international challenges. The CDIA was established in 2013 to explore contemporary and historical issues associated with democracy, liberty, and international affairs. The Center provides a forum for presentations by government officials, journalists, and scholars; publishes scholarly writings on subjects of governance and international affairs; encourages and supports public participation in political processes; and engages VIU students and faculty in stud and research on related subjects.