The purpose of the Student Ambassador Program is to immediately connect a new student with a current student (Student Ambassador) before they even start attending VIU. Connecting a new student with a Student Ambassador before the new student even arrives provides the new student the opportunity to feel connected with the university before he/she even arrives. It also gives the new student an opportunity to ask questions that he/she may not feel comfortable asking others.
Qualifications of a Student Ambassador:
Students who are interested in being Student Ambassador’s need to meet the following qualifications:
- Be a current VIU student for at least 2 semesters.
- Be an engaged student (a student that has attended at least four school events)
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Be in good financial standing with VIU.
- Be able to commit to being a Student Ambassador for at least one semester.
- Be available to attend and participate in the New Student Orientation
Students who meet the above criteria will fill out the Student Ambassador Sign-up Request form.
When the Student Affairs Department receives a new student’s name from admissions, new student orientation RSVP cards, or the housing portal, the Student Affairs Staff will pair the new student with a current student.
Within 48 hours of receiving a new student name, the Student Affairs staff should pair a new student with a Student Ambassador who is from the same region of the world.
The Student Affairs staff will send the Student Ambassador an e-mail and provide the following information to the Student Ambassador:
- Student’s name
- e-mail address
- Home country
- If known, major he/she will study.
Within 48 hours of the Student Ambassador will be given a new student’s name, he/she should reach out to the new student via e-mail and do the following:
- Welcome the new student to VIU
- Introduce him/herself
- Explain his/her role as a Student Ambassador
- Ask the student if he/she has any questions/concerns
- Ask when the student will be coming to VIU
- Ask if the student needs pick-up from the airport
- Let the new student know you will see him/her at the New Student Orientation (Remind him/her of the date(s) and include the orientation RSVP card and the RSVP link to orientation
If the new student responds to the student ambassador, the student ambassador should respond within 48 hours.
The student ambassador should reach out to the new student several times before he/she arrives to VIU. At least one week before his/her arrival, the student ambassador should reach out to the student and ask if he/she has any last minute question/concerns. Remind the student of the New Student Orientation.
The student ambassador will attend the New Student Orientation and be one of the first faces the new student sees. The student ambassador will be there to be a guide and a resource to the new student.
The student ambassador needs to invite the new student to at least two Student Affairs activity during the semester.