- To get students engaged in more activities offered by VIU
- To have students obtain Gold, Silver or Bronze status
Length of Program
- August 28, 2017 to December 16, 2017
Students have the opportunity to gain points through a variety of activities. Please see below.
- Volunteering: For each hour or fraction thereof a student volunteers, he/she gets 50 points (100 on holidays and 75 on weekends). Student Affairs has set up at least one volunteer opportunity a month. The volunteer opportunities can be between 3.5 and 5 hours long. You can also participate in other volunteer activities around campus.
- Field Trips: For each hour a student attends an exploration/expedition, he/she gets 5 points. Student Affairs has set up at least two field trips a month. These trips generally last about 5 hours.
- Attending Conferences: Students will get 40 points for attending a full-day conference and 20 points for a half-day. If students attend conferences outside of VIU, they need to submit supporting documents to the Student Affairs Department to show attendance.
- Student Ambassadors: Students who serve as an ambassador for New Student Orientations, marketing events, etc. will receive 45 points per activity.
- Honor Society Member: Students who become a member of a VIU recognized honor society will receive 150 points.
- Participating in VIU Event: Students who participate in a VIU campus event (VIU Idol, Diversity luncheon, exercise leader, Mr. and Miss VIU) lasting at least one hour will get 75 points.
- Presenting at a VIU Event: Student who presents at a VIU campus event (Diversity Luncheon, Conference, Guest Speaker Series, etc. will get 75 points.
- Performing at a VIU Event: Students who perform in a VIU campus event (Singing, Dancing, Playing Music, Talent Show) will get 75 points.
- Initiating a New Club: Students who take the initiative to develop and carry out a new club will get 200 points for leading the club, 30 points for each new student orientation they attend and 10 points for each monthly meeting club they attend. The President of the club MUST have monthly meetings, at least one activity per semester (tournaments, games, etc.) and meet with the Student Affairs Manager once a month for the clubs’ meetings. Student Affairs will assist you in starting this club and assisting with the resources you need.
- Leading an Existing Club: Students who take on the commitment to be a Club Leader and fulfill the following: leading a club meeting at least once a month, attending monthly meetings with Student Affairs Manager, and has at least one activity (tournaments, games, etc.) a month will get the designated 150 points for leading the club, 30 points for each new student orientation they attend and 10 points for each monthly club meeting the attend.
- Attending Club Events: Students will receive 15 points for a whole event, 10 points for half of the event and 5 points for a quarter of the event.
- Implementation of New Idea: Students who develop and/or design new protocols, and procedures to enhance student affairs, for every hour that is spent designing, creating and/or implanting new policy or procedure will get 12 points.
- Participating in Research Projects or Grants: Students who participate in research projects or grants will receive 150points per project or grant. Students will need to submit supporting documentation to the Student Affairs Department to show proof of participation.
- Student of the Month: Students who are chosen as the student of the month will receive 150 points.
- Sport Coach/Leader: The student who will coach/lead the VIU sport team will get 110 points for the full season + the participation points.
- Sports Participation: Students who participate in a VIU sports team will get 35 points for each game they play and 35points for each practice they attend.
- Attending Town Hall Meetings: For each Town Hall Meeting (a meeting where students meet with administration and/or the Student Union to discuss issues or concerns about VIU), students will receive 20 points.
- Social Media: Students who participate in Student Affairs videos or give us a testimonial will get 10 points. Students who share or like our videos will get 5 points.
- Seminars, Workshops, and other Campus Events: For each seminar, workshop or event student attends, he/she will get 30 points for attending the whole event, 15 per half attendance, 10 per quarter attendance. Student Affairs has set up at least one seminar, workshop or event each week. Generally, they last 1.5 hours. You can also attend Career Service Seminars and events in addition to any events hosted by schools.
- Refer a Friend to VIU (only for Student Staff): Student Staff who refer a friend to study at VIU and the friend studies for one full semester will get 100 points for each student he/she refers.
- Being a Translator: Students who participate during check-in and/or orientation as a translator for new students who speak the same language will get 75 points for each hour.
- Faculty and Staff Gift: Each faculty and staff member collects 150 points can gift the 150 points to one student or divide the points between different students. The gift cannot exceed the 150 points. Each faculty and staff person are responsible for informing the Student Affairs office two weeks before the end of the semester who they want to gift the points to.
- Being a Mentor: Mentors help new students adapt to new cultures and experiences while also building student leadership and initiative skills. Mentors receive 200 points in addition to 20 points per on or off-campus activity. Read more about being a mentor here.
|Activity||Minimum Points||Maximum Points|
100 during a Holiday
75 during the weekend
|Field Trips||40 per trip||100|
|Attending Conferences||40 points for attending a full-day conference
20 points for attending a half-day conference
|Student Ambassadors||45 points per activity||N/A|
|Participating/Presenting and Performing in VIU Event||75 points||N/A|
|Initiating a New Club||N/A
|Honor Societies Members||150 points||150 points|
|Leading an Existing Club||N/A
|Attending Club Events||15 per event for whole attendance
10 per event for half attendance
5 for a quarter of attendance
|Initiating an Event/Activity on Campus||N/A||250|
|Implementing a New Idea||25||N/A|
|Sports Coach/Leader||N/A||110 + Participation Points|
|Sports Participation||35 each Game
35 each Practice
|Attending Town Hall Meetings||20||N/A|
|Attending Seminars, Workshops, and other Campus Events||30 per event for whole attendance
15 per event for half attendance
10 for a quarter of attendance
|Social Media||10 for each Video or Testimonial
5 Shares, Likes, and Hashtags
|Refer a Friend to VIU (Student Staff Only)||100 per friend who studies for at least one semester||N/A|
|Being a Translator||75 per hour||N/A|
|Faculty and Staff Gift||N/A||150|
|Being a Mentor||N/A
20 On-campus activity
20 Off-campus activity
- Being involved in these activities is a great way to add to your Resume! The skills you develop while engaging in these activities continue to build your Soft Skills – personal accountability, collaboration, interpersonal skills, adaptability, flexibility, clarity of communication, creative thinking, time management, motivation, teamwork, and mentoring/coaching.
- By being involved in these activities, it also makes it easier to request Recommendation Letters and/or Professional References from the staff. The more you engage with the staff, the better they get to know you and can speak highly of you when you need a professional reference!
- By being involved in the community and a variety of activities, students are able to make connections and network.
- Fun rewards
Minimum 3,500 points
- Receive an Award and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website.
- Student who obtain minimum 3,500 points or more are eligible to apply for the Student Activities Scholarship. The scholarship will be up to $1,000 dollars.
- Student luncheon with President, Dr. Sarac and the Executive Vice President of University of Affairs, Dr. Suleyman Bahceci.
- Recognition at graduation
- Pizza and wings party for student’s organization
- Receive VIU Merchandise
2,500 – 3,499 points
- Student who obtain between 2,500 and 3,499 points or more are eligible to apply for the Student Activities Scholarship. The scholarship will be up to $500 dollars.
- Receive a Certificate and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website.
- Pizza party for student (limit to five pizza’s)
- Student will receive a 25-dollar gift card
- Receive VIU Merchandise
1,400 – 2,499 points
- Student who obtain between 1,400 and 2,499 points or more are eligible to apply for the Student Activities Scholarship. The scholarship will be $250 dollars.
- Receive a Certificate and Recognition by the Student Affairs Office. Student will also be featured on the website
- Student will receive 10 dollars’ gift card
- Receive VIU Merchandise