The Student Union (SU) at Virginia International University (VIU) is comprised of responsible and motivated members of the VIU student body who are dedicated to ensuring student rights and student involvement in university activities. The SU serves to uphold the voice and opinions of VIU’s students and to initiate and implement policies governing their activities. In addition, the SU seeks to foster and support the ideas and wishes of the student body; provide a communication network within the student body; engender cooperation among all student groups, clubs, and organizations; act as a liaison between the student body and administration, faculty, and staff; and nurture an atmosphere of community within the university.
The mission of the SU is to strengthen student participation in university life by overseeing the formation of student clubs and contributing to the university’s decision-making process through formal channels. The SU shall serve as a forum for the discussion of matters pertaining to the welfare of VIU students and foster unity within the university.
- Must submit to the Student Affairs Department the Student Union Application Form
- Must be a full-time student in good academic standing:
- Graduate-Level student minimum GPA 3.25
- Undergraduate-Level student minimum GPA 3.00
- Must have completed at least one semester at VIU
- Must have continuously met all financial obligations and left no outstanding issues with the university administration
- Must submit a 250 word, double spaced essay explaining why you are interested in the position and why you think you would be a good fit for the particular position you are applying for
- Must submit a professional resume
- Leadership skills: Improve your leadership skills and showcase them in the university community.
- Résumé booster: Add the experience to your résumé as proof to future employers of your leadership initiatives and your community involvement.
- Management skills: Learn to manage budgets, plan activities, market events, and coordinate human resources!
- VIU management: Be a part of VIU management committees.
- Attend an interest meeting with the current student union members.
- Submit the Student Union Application Form, personal essay and resume to the Student Affairs Department.
- Student Affairs Department will verify you are in good standing with the university and notify you by e-mail you are approved to run for the Student Union position.
- Participate in the election campaign. The campaign lasts approximately 10 to 15 days. During this time you are allowed to put flyers up around school, advocate your agenda, meet with the students, put up booths…Do what you can to educate your fellow students regarding your campaign! Be INNOVATIVE!
- Participate in the election speeches and debate. This allows you to introduce yourself and your agenda; answer questions from students, staff, and faculty; and showcase your competencies and skills.
- Following the election speeches and debate, online voting will occur. Online voting lasts approximately 3-4 days. A link will be sent to student’s campus.viu.edu e-mail addresses and votes are cast online. Students are allowed to vote only once. Candidates under no circumstances are allowed to bully or pressure students into voting for them. If this behavior is reported, this could lead to disqualification from the position.
- After vote counts have been tabulated, the results will be announced.
|March 22, 2019||Return completed Student Union Application Forms|
|March 25, 2019 to April 12, 2019||Campaigning|
|April 3, 2019||Candidates give a campaign speech and participate in an election forum|
|April 15, 2019 to April 17, 2019||Online voting|
|April 18, 2019||Election results announced|
News and Events
November 12-November 16, 2018 was International Education Week. Virginia International University celebrated the week by having a variety of events on campus. On Tuesday, November 13th, a Lunch and Le...
September 11th is the National Day of Service and Remembrance. It is a day to remember all who lost and sacrificed their lives to help others 17 years ago. The VIU community participated in this tradi...
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018, the Student Union organized a Fall Semester Back 2 School Party for new and returning VIU students. The purpose of the party was to formally welcome all students, and ...