The Student Union (SU) at Virginia International University (VIU) is comprised of responsible and motivated members of the VIU student body who are dedicated to ensuring student rights and student involvement in university activities. The SU serves to uphold the voice and opinions of VIU’s students and to initiate and implement policies governing their activities. In addition, the SU seeks to foster and support the ideas and wishes of the student body; provide a communication network within the student body; engender cooperation among all student groups, clubs, and organizations; act as a liaison between the student body and administration, faculty, and staff; and nurture an atmosphere of community within the university.
The mission of the SU is to strengthen student participation in university life by overseeing the formation of student clubs and contributing to the university’s decision-making process through formal channels. The SU shall serve as a forum for the discussion of matters pertaining to the welfare of VIU students and foster unity within the university.
- Must submit official application
- Must be a full-time student in good academic standing:
- Graduate-level student minimum GPA 3.25.
- Undergraduate-level student minimum GPA of 3.00
- Must have completed one semester at VIU.
- May not be on any academic or non-academic probation or warning period.
- Must have continuously met all financial obligations and left no outstanding issues with the university administration.
- Must submit a professional résumé.
- Leadership skills: Improve your leadership skills and showcase them in the university community.
- Résumé booster: Add the experience to your résumé as proof to future employers of your leadership initiatives and your community involvement.
- Management skills: Learn to manage budgets, plan activities, market events, and coordinate human resources!
- VIU management: Be a part of VIU management committees.
- Attend an interest meeting
- Collect an application from the Student Center.
- Complete the application, verify your eligibility, and submit the application (along with your résumé and campaigning agenda) to the Office of Student Affairs in the Student Center.
- The election campaigns last approximately 10-15 days. Put up your flyers, advocate your agenda, meet with students, put up booths… Do what you can to educate fellow students regarding your campaign! Be INNOVATIVE!
- The election speech and debate allows you to introduce yourself and your agenda; answer questions from students, staff, and faculty; and showcase your competencies and skills.
- Following the election speech and debate, online voting lasts approximately 3-4 days. A link is sent to students’ campus.viu.edu email addresses and votes are cast online.
- After vote counts have been tabulated, the results are announced at a celebration event.
|March 22, 2018||Application Deadline|
|March 22 – April 12, 2018||Campaigning Activities|
|April 12, 2018||Platform Speeches and Floor Questions|
|April 13-17, 2018||Open Voting|
|April 18, 2018||Election Results|
News and Events
September 11th is the National Day of Service and Remembrance. It is a day to remember all who lost and sacrificed their lives to help others 17 years ago. The VIU community participated in this tradi...
On Wednesday, September 5, 2018, the Student Union organized a Fall Semester Back 2 School Party for new and returning VIU students. The purpose of the party was to formally welcome all students, and ...
In honor of World Humanitarian Day, the VIU Student Union and students volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House today. The Ronald McDonald House keeps families with sick children together and c...