Adjunct Professor in TESOL
Marietta Bradinova, PhD
Dr. Marietta Bradinova is an Adjunct Professor in TESOL at Virginia International University in Fairfax, VA. She is in her 10th year of teaching at VIU. She is a former EFL and ESL teacher of 15 years. Dr. Bradinova holds a PhD in English Rhetoric and Linguistics from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA. She has also earned a Master’s Degree in English Philology and Master’s Degree in English Linguistics from St. St. Cyril and Methodius University, Bulgaria and George Mason University, Fairfax, VA respectively.
Dr. Bradinova creates and delivers face-to-face and online (virtual) professional development services tailored to the unique needs of public school teachers and administrators. She coaches content-area teachers and administrators on best practices for teaching culturally and linguistically diverse students.
Her scholarly work includes the publication of ESOL student and teacher materials, presentations at national and international fora, and invited lectures. Her research and pedagogical interests are shaped by her extensive international ESOL experience.
In 2012 and 2013 Virginia International University, 2012 and 2013 Virginia International University awarded her its Faculty Outstanding Award for Academic Excellence.
MA in English Philology, St. St. Cyril and Methodius University, Bulgaria
MA in English Linguistics, George Mason University
Ph.D. in English Rhetoric and Linguistics, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- TESOL methodologies
- Teaching content to linguistically and culturally diverse students
- Technology and language learning strategies
- APLX 520 Introduction to Multilingualism
- APLX 530 Language Teaching Methods
- APLX 540 Language Curriculum and Materials Design
- APLX 550 Language Assessment
- APLX 572 Technologies for Language Learning
- APLX 620 Teaching Pronunciation
- APLX 630 Sociolinguistics for the Classroom
- APLX 635 Intercultural Communications
- ENGL 120 Academic Writing
- Bradinova, M. & Gimble, C. (October, 2015). Engaging strategies for academic writing. TESOL Connections. Retrieved from http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/tesolc/issues/2015-10-01/2.html
- Bradinova, M. (2009). Teaching and learning in the digital age. WATESOL Newsletter September, 2009
- Bradinova, M. (2009). Reading to learn and learning to read from a science textbook in an ESOL class. In Using Textbooks Effectively. Alexandria, VA: TESOL Publications.
Presentations at the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International Association
- “Using TED Talks to Foster Class Discussions with English Learners” TESOL Convention, March 27-30, 2018, Chicago, IL.
- “Let’s Talk!: Discussion Strategies and Activities Using TED Talks.” October 7, 2017 WATESOL Conference at Trinity Washington University in Washington, DC
- “Engaged Learning: Are We All on the Same Page” October 5, 2017 at Virginia International University in Fairfax, VA
- “No More Boring Writing Classes: Engaging Strategies for Academic Writing” TESOL Convention, March 25-28, 2015, Toronto, Canada
- “Making Science Instruction Accessible to ELLs” TESOL Convention, March 20-23, 2013, Dallas, TX
- “Implementing Exit Exams in an Intensive University-level ESL” TESOL Convention, March 17-19, 2011, New Orleans, LO
- “Teaching Language and Content to Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students” TESOL Convention,
- March 24-27, 2010, Boston, MA
- “Innovation in 21st Century Classroom Practices,” “Textbooks as Part of the ESOL Classroom Ecology”
- TESOL Convention, March 26-29, 2009, Denver, CO
- “Using Graphic Novels for Developing L2 Acquisitions” TESOL Convention, March 13-15, 2006, Tampa, FL
Virginia International University, 2012, 2013 Faculty Outstanding Award for Academic Excellence
- TESOL International
- Washington Area TESOL (WATESOL)
National Board Professional Teaching Certificate:
Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood/English as a New Language
Post Graduate Professional License
Commonwealth of Virginia
English as a Second Language PREK-12
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA